5G mobile network measurements
- New frequency bands below and above 6 GHz, promising globally available frequency ranges with the principle ones being: 3.4 to 4 GHz and 26 to 29 GHz.
- Beamforming support for synchronization signals and broadcast channels
- Wide flexibility of physical radio parameters such as channel bandwidth, subcarrier spacing and symbol duration
The Network Coverage Challenge
- Before network rollout (pre-installation phase): 5G NR network measurements in trials are the only way to provide insights into the performance of the new technology and to overcome uncertainties before commercial launch.
- At commercial network rollout (installation phase): 5G NR network measurements verify 5G NR network planning and site installation, for example to determine if the planned cluster and network coverage will be successful.
- In network optimization phase: 5G NR network measurements can verify the handover areas between sites, cells and beams and at the same time limit the interference between cells to increase the provided capacity.
- Trouble shooting: 5G NR network measurements help find root causes of potential problems in networks, e.g. coverage holes, high interference causing too low capacity, etc.
- Benchmarking: 5G NR network measurements will also support benchmarking campaigns in the future in order to compare different operators’ 5G NR networks.
5G NR network measurement solutions from Rohde & Schwarz
- In combination with the scanners R&S®TSME6 and R&S®TSMA6, R&S®ROMES offers the first 5G NR network measurement solution that measures true network coverage.
- The solution also verifies the impact of beamforming for synch signals and broadcast channels.
- R&S®ROMES drive test software can connect 5G USB dongles or other pre-commercial devices to monitor the 5G device / network interaction and execute UL tests. It is a universal network optimization tool for collecting and analyzing 5G data.
- This Rohde & Schwarz 5G NR network measurement solutions has been shortlisted for the Global Telecoms Award 2018 in the 5G category called “Advancing the road to 5G”.
- For more detailed information, see our press release on the world’s first 5G NR network measurement solution.